(found on Willow Street, the part that runs over Records Pond Dam)
Let me tell you where you’re going wrong, Tommy.
Let me tell you where they’re all going wrong.
We’re talking about labels, Tommy, names. The issue, the issue I have, is that often times these things are not representative of what they are stuck to. Oh, no. See, they’re projections of what we want those things to be.
A chair is a chair, Tommy, I get that. That’s simple. A chair is a chair, and all it can be is a chair. It’s just blocks of wood. It’s just nails and glue. A chair. Good job.
But, see, when we talk about people, when we talk about human beings, we aren’t talking about things or objects no more. We aren’t talking about chairs.
We’re talking about human beings, and there’s some ethereal quality to that, to us. There’s something that isn’t just in a name or a label, no matter how much glue we use, no matter how many nails we hammer through it.
But that’s too complicated. Tommy, for everyone else that’s just too much. We need handles for things, right? We need things to grab on to so we can carry that stuff around, so that we can fit it nice and neat in our pocket.
And that’s where we go wrong. And that’s where we miss out.
I don’t understand it, but there are these people that just roll themselves around in these words like they’re an ice cream cone getting doused in rainbow sprinkles. They tell you they’re a contractor and a horseback rider and a yoga aficionado and an amateur chef. They say all that as if it means a damn, as if it’s who they are, as if they aren’t just wrapping themselves in a warm blanket to protect themselves from the cold nothingness of the night.
I met a guy, he said he was a lawyer. I looked at him funny. I had asked him who he was, and he said he was Brad, and he said he was a lawyer. See that was all he said, and I couldn’t believe it. Two words encompass the totality of your existence? And I just sat there, wondering how much of him is lawyer and how much of him is just acting like how he thinks a lawyer is supposed to act.
That is the danger of labels. That is the danger of names. When we apply them, to ourselves or others, we change who we are. Tommy, we aren’t lawyers or doctors, no. We are human beings with conceptions of what it is to be a lawyer or a doctor, and so we mold ourselves and change ourselves and limit ourselves to become a lawyer, to become a doctor – at least what we think those things should be.
No, see, Tommy, it’s more complicated than that. Life’s more complicated than that. To be who you are is much more complicated than that, so complicated that all the names and all the labels are just inconsequential. There’s something more. Tommy, there’s always something more. Don’t insist on anything, don’t let others insist for you, and don’t take anything for yourself because there’s always something more, more than just a name.
Keep your head up,
Check out other responses to the “Names” Weekly Challenge here:
- Weekly Writing Challege: Power of Names | Our Baby Dreams
- Weekly Writing Challege: Power of Names | The WordPress C(h)ronicle
- What’s in a name | Love your dog
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Power of Names | Under the Monkey Tree
- More Than A Name | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- Weekly Writing Challege: Power of Names | ManicMedic
- Melissa|The Meaning | melissuhhsmiles
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Power of Names | B.Kaotic
- Faithfully Named | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- The Power of a Name | Short & Sharp
- A Rose by Any Other Name… | Artfully Aspiring
- my name is larry | eastelmhurst.a.go.go
- Name Responsibily (Weekly Writing Challenge) | …Of Course, this Could All Go Horribly Awry
- Porkchops | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- What Is In A Name | Unload and Unwind
- What’s in a Name? | For Love of a Good Yarn
- Name. Name. Name. | …Properly Ridiculous…
- What’s in a Name? | Lead us from the Unreal to the Real
- The Power of Names | Jennifer Paige
- kurtosis | staying.cool
- From Russia: with Hope. | Abstractions of Life
- THE HASTY TRADITION | Hastywords
- Rice Insults My Intelligence | Bumblepuppies
- Just Call Me | ripplesblog
- Daily Prompt: What’s in a Name | The Cheese Whines
- Roles and Identities | Kingdom of Sharks
- Word Press Weekly Writing Challenge: the Power of Names | Phylor’s Blog
- The Power of a Name | Welcome, somthing drink?
- What’s in a Name? | Sam’s Online Journal
- What’s In A Name? | The Eclectic Poet
- The moniker of Monica | Minnesota Transplant
- NOT IN OUR NAME | Unload and Unwind
- Contrary, Bitter, Rebellious and Loved | Mary J Melange
- Purely Me | Scraps of Paper
- Weekly Writing Challege: Power of Names | Simply about Life
- A Few of My Favorite Things…. | Coffee Crumbs
- Names | Speaking Voiceless
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Power of Names | lifebeinggirly
- Writing Prompt: The Power of Names | tamiesrealm
- On Names… | Tas’und’eash
- How Osama Bin Laden And My Parents Got Together And Complicated My Life | Babbleogue
- The Lame Name Shame Blame Game! | Once Upon Your Prime. . .
- “Found in Translation” | Cosmic Heroism
- STICKS AND STONES | SERENDIPITY
- The Daily Post Challenge – Power of Names | Wine goes best with a good book
- A rose by any other name… | A Bite for Sore Eyes
- The Wedding Paper: My name, your name, our name | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- The Making of a Name | The Seeker’s Dungeon
- Daily Post Challenge – Power of Names | Smile at the Sky
- We, the Dragons, shall live, for all eternity! | Wired With Words
- Weekly writing challenge : Power of names | La chica de la burbuja
- the importance of a good Chinese name | 2SOJOURNERS
- Weekly Writing Challege: Power of Names – Friendsoulmate | WorldwideFriends
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Power of Names | A mom’s blog
- What’s In A Name? | Finale to an Entrance
- Names, Names, Names | The Flibberatic Skreebles
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Power of Names | Writing Canvas
- Weekly Writing Challenge : Bambang is My Name and I’m Proud of It… | bambangpriantono
- Weekly Writing Challenge: My name is… my name is… | In my world
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Power of Names | siobhanmcnamara
- Namesakes | Not the Family Business!
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Power Of Names | imagination
- All Magic Comes with a Price | An Upturned Soul
- WWC: Yep, that’s my name. | Simple Heart Girl
- A Teacher’s View on Names | Avoiding Neverland
- Weekly writing challenge – Names | The Wandering Poet
- Sisters | The Sapient Chronicles
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Power of Names (Rocky) | Basically Beyond Basic
- names | from dreams to plans
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Name | Get The Courage
- What’s in a Name? – Evelyne Holingue
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Names | Reflections and Nightmares- Irene A Waters (writer and memoirist)
- Who am I? | For Love, For Beauty, For Life
- Becoming Elexa Rose | Lexy’s Litblog
- Power of Names | joyandreassen
- What’s in a Name? | aliabbasali
- Giving Back the Name (DPchallenge: power of names) | Between Madness & Euphoria
- Labelled | fifty5words
- A rose by any other name | A picture is worth 1000 words
- My name is Duane (by J.D. Hager) | the intrinsickness
- How Do You Say Your Name? | Bits of Things
- Suicide no. 36: The Death of Gary Elshire | derekalanwilkinson
- Power of Names: Three Words, Eight Letters | Living in the Moment
- Nameless Wanderer | Within The Cypress Forest
- What’s in a Name | The Wonder of Yarrow House
- Power of Names | sothislife
- The Never Name | Response to Name Challenge | The Never Blog
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Power of Names | Occasional Stuff
- The Many Names Of Cat Madigan | The Adventures of Cat Madigan
- Names and Fish Bowls | Shawn’s Open Journal
- of names, claims, and a little defiance | Anawnimiss
- Weekly writing challenge: power of names – Debbie | Deb’s world
- What’s in a Name? | jennsmidlifecrisis
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Names ~ My Little Dee Dee | The Day After
- my name is… | the hilarious pessimist
- By Any Other | Be Less Amazing
- Weekly Writing Challenge: Power of Names | Proverbs 31 Teen