(found where nobody else could see it)
Do you think you’re right?
I shouldn’t start with that, I know, because it’s been such a long time, and it was so nice to have received your letter. But I feel the question must be asked. Whatever you think of me, however little or much, has been made very clear. But now I would like to know what exactly you think of yourself.
Tell me, please, what do you think is happening in the mind of someone who differs from you, someone who disagrees with you, someone like me. I think, if you think about it, you’ll find that – whoever they are and whatever they think – they’re convinced of their own correctness to the same degree as you.
I know you think I’m childish. I know you think I’m unprepared and naïve and weird and that I’ll soon come to regret most or all of the decisions I’ve made so far. I know, and I know this most of all, that you have affixed that label onto me, your favorite term for those moral castoffs quaking at your feet. I know you call me with my habits “unhealthy.”
I’m tired of you saying that you’ve “never seen me that way.” I’m starting to think that you’ve just never seen me.
I may be wrong. You may be wrong. I may be right, and you could be right too. What we both know, what I am certain is what gives you the most comfort, is that you have more people on your side than I have on mine. The lucky thing is, though, we aren’t fighting a war. I don’t need to convince you of anything. I’m just trying to live.
I can’t tell if you really are that stilted, stagnant and boring of a human being, or if you’re merely trying to maintain some façade of adult maturity.
It’s hard for me to believe the latter as your behavior strikes me as being so childish.
I know you want me to live one of those lives, normal, functional, productive like a good citizen. It’s always about the path with you, the path and following it. When it isn’t, when you finally open your eyes, catch a glimpse of the world and take a detour, it’s always conscious and deliberate. It’s always just another path for you, always following a path.
I’m sorry Matthew, even though I’m not. I appreciate your patience and your care, but I’m sorry because I know that I can’t do that. Even if I wanted to, I know that I just can’t do something like that.
Check out other submissions for the Daily Prompt here:
- Daily Prompt: With or Without You-Solving Conflict | Journeyman
- Daily Prompt: Complex « Vicariously Poetic
- Daily Prompt: With or Without You | Under the Monkey Tree
- Feuding Neighbors Create “Sno-Man’s” Land | DCMontreal: Blowing the Whistle on Society
- A Very Big Mistake | Knowledge Addiction
- Daily Prompt: With or Without You | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Brandon’s Mentor And The Daily Prmpt | The Jittery Goat
- When People Have More Faith in You than Yourself | Rima Hassan
- Drawing a line in the sand: Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- Streetlight | 365 days of defiance
- Daily Prompt: Till Death do us Part? | Anniemation Floe
- A Game of Picnic | My Play Nook
- Stop Telling Lies Or Else! – Writing | wangsgard.com
- Torture of Four Years | Daily Prompt: With or Without You | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: With or Without You | Sabethville
- Get It In Gear | The Shotgun Girls
- Where are your gods now (a tale) | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- On the hook | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Putting it All on the Line Prayers and Promises
- 268. Ultimatum | Barely Right of Center
- A Day Different | Random Blotches
- Daily Prompt: With or Without You | theshamelesswanderer
- Daily Prompt : With or Without You | Valley Girl Gone Country
- Life Is Complex | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Me or him- it’s your choice | Animal Love
- Me or him- it’s your choice | A picture is worth 1000 words
- DP: Us or Them | Scorched Ice
- A picture is worth 1000 words
- WITH OR WITHOUT YOU: IT DOESN’T ALWAYS WORK OUT THE WAY YOU EXPECT | SERENDIPITY
- simple (senryu in three parts) | peacefulblessedstar
- Job or It’s The End Of You and Me! | Views Splash!
- Ultimatums and Death | the TEMENOS JOURNAL
- Ultimatums and Triple Dog Dares! | meanderedwanderings
- Too late | Life is great
- Daily Prompt: With or Without You | Nola Roots, Texas Heart
- Daily Prompt: With or Without You « Mama Bear Musings
- The Forever Choice | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- i would repeat you | y
- Only With You | A mom’s blog
- My Brother, the Incorrigible Drunk | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- In Line Of Fire | Flowers and Breezes
- Daily Prompt: With or Without You | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Fighting Ultimatums | Ana Linden
- No More Contacts Please ! | My Life and My Career
- Nicki Minaj and A Free Fall. | meg lago
- Pointillism in Borneo | Mishe en Place
- Daily Prompt: With or Without You | Basically Beyond Basic
- yesterday’s snow lets | y
- You Stop This NOW! | Buzzy Beez
- Idyllic way of traffic or nostalgia | Le Drake Noir
- Ultimatums are bad. All the time. Just say no. | Curious Jac
- The Camino Plan | Exploring Assisi – The Unintentional Pilgrimage (Part 1)
- Daily Prompt: Complex | Occasional Stuff